When it comes to my content creation, I have all the consistency of half whipped sour cream. There's some potential in that bowl but you can be sure that only half of the batch is actually going to be of any use. The remainder being a lumpy sour mess. My short lived experience as a vlogger (I will forever cringe at that term) proved several things to me. Primarily that all successful YouTubers are semi professional actors dabbling with self induced multiple personality disorders, but also that consistency, as with hand whipped cream, is key.
With that brief history of mine in mind, I would like to present my second attempt at addressing the never ending question concerning which camera individuals should invest in when hoping to document their travels.
The first thing I can tell you is that you have to buy the camera you are most likely to take with you. I find traditional DSLR cameras to be unsightly, heavy, cumbersome, table top space hogging lumps of magnesium alloy, rubber and glass that attract a lot of attention when we may want to remain low key. With all of that said of course they serve a specific purpose, have a very specific application and do manage to pull their weight when they are the right tool for that job. However technology has evolved far beyond even Tesla's wildest dreams and the power we need to point and shoot might be in your hand right at this very moment.(my website traffic is currently 82% mobile based, so to the remaining 18%, please do not try and use your desktop computer as a travel camera!!)
With temperatures peaking at around 34 degrees in a heat trap city like Berlin the last thing you want is a Canon DSLR strap wringing your neck and reminding you that your practically baby sitting a device for the day. Also, I have a tendency to overheat as it is and prefer to stay as absolutely light as possible when on the move. I do still see myself picking up another Fuji X-Series camera at some point, but, for now, my iPhone 6 (and soon to be iPhone 7plus) is still my weapon of choice. Yes it has limitations but the more you work with a tool, the more you know how far you can push it. Night time scenes and even low light, where the camera will drop the shutter speed rather than boost the ISO, mean you really have to get a feel for this camera.
My knowledge of the flexibility of the iPhone's jpgs means I don't really need to be able to make out much of what is being shown on the screen when I'm shooting. In fact the screen will generally reflect right back at you when the sun is up so don't worry about it too much. Get your exposure somewhat accurate and carry on. I spend no more than 3-4 seconds a photo and even that is at the lengthier end of the spectrum. Fire and forget and don't miss something else that may be happening around you.
Oh and one more thing, Berlin is an incredible city filled with beautiful people. I will be back time and time again.